To maintain a beautiful kitchen, you need to know how to maintain a beautiful countertop. The more high-end the material, the more care you need to take because they are expensive and cumbersome to replace. With a little daily care and caution, your countertop can look as good as new for years to come. It’s really not that hard; our experts at Leen Long Cabinets and Kitchen Construction will explain how.
6 Tips to Maintain Your Kitchen Countertop
- Prevent Scratches: It is easy to leave scratches on your kitchen countertop even if you don’t intend to. Your kitchen has sharp objects lying around from assorted knives to cutlery with sharp edges. Keep knives away safely in the grooved sections of a knife block. Store cutlery in drawers or cutlery holders. Never make the mistake of slicing fruits and vegetables directly on countertops, always use a thick cutting board.
- Keep Hot Food Away: Excessive heat can damage your countertop. Always place freshly cooked dishes and oven-baked food on a heat-resistant mat, cooling rack or potholder.
- Remove Stains: Food can also create hard to remove stains on your countertop, especially if it’s light hued. Make sure you sweep off crumbs and wipe clean stains with a damp cloth or absorbent tissue and a multipurpose kitchen cleaner. Dry with a clean towel or microfiber cloth to remove any water stains from the damp cloth. For stubborn stains, make a thin paste of baking soda and water. Cover the stained area with a layer of this mixture; let it sit for a few minutes and wipe clean gently with a damp cloth and dry with a clean cloth. Don’t leave it there for too long or it could discolour the counter.
- Reseal Granite and Marble: You need to reseal high-end countertops such as granite or marble when they have done their time. How do you know when to reseal? It’s easy! Sprinkle or spray water drops on the surface. If they remain there, you’re good. If the water gets absorbed into the countertops, call us at once for the best results. DIY methods to save you money can create more damage and cost you more if you are not proficient.
- Wipe Clean Laminate Countertops: An easy way to maintain laminate countertops is to wipe up spills at once. The longer spills sit there, the more likely it is to stain the area. Laminate is inexpensive and durable. It is also more delicate. Do not scrub hard with nylon bristle brushes or steel wool or it will leave scratches. Use a baking soda and water paste mixture to clean stains, but don’t let it lie there for too long. Baking soda can be abrasive. Try nail polish remover to remove ink stains. You can call us to seal laminate surfaces with a coating to keep off future stains.
- Oil Wood Countertops: It is important to wash wood countertops to remove stains, spills and scrapes. Oil the surface once a month with a good quality mineral oil that won’t turn rancid.
- To remove stains, cut half a lemon and rub the area with the juice.
- For tougher stains, mix lemon juice with salt for extra abrasion.
For the toughest stains, add a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide to a cup of warm water and apply on the spot. Let it sit for a while, then rinse off with water.
Rely on Leen Long Kitchen Cabinets and Countertops
Combining expertise and contemporary designs to suit your lifestyle and requirements, we ensure our products last you for years to come. Whether you are renovating or designing a new home, we offer high-quality cabinets and countertops that fit any budget. From quartz and granite countertops to sinks and faucets, we offer all you want at the best prices. Call us to design your dream kitchen or to upgrade your countertops for a new look.
All credit goes to Leen Long Construction Ltd.